Hi, friends. I would like to touch base (I hate that phrase. Sounds super toolish) on my protocol. I have yet to regain full composure with my dietary program. I have been able to mostly stay on schedule with the intermittent fasting, but my food choices have not been the best. I have reverted back to the SAD (Standard American Diet). As bad as this is, the full negative effects of this have not been realized, mostly because of the fasting I believe. I am still slowly losing weight, only about a pound or two a week, though. The most concerning thing about this is that my nutritional needs are not being met. This must change immediately.
The program I had been following, the ‘Slow Carb Diet,’ consists of five basic rules:
- Avoid “white” starchy carbohydrates (or those that can be white). This means all bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, and grains. If you have to ask, don’t eat it.
- Eat the same few meals over and over again. (keep it simple)
- Don’t drink calories.
- Don’t eat fruit. (Fructose –> glycerol phosphate –> more body fat, more or less.) Avocado and tomatoes are excepted.
- Take one day off per week and go nuts. (I take two days. It still works.)
This diet worked pretty well while I was doing it, but I have not been able to sustain it. The main issues I have with it are the not being able to eat starchy vegetables and fruit. I’m not sure that these two rules are the best for me. After all, I am very comfortable with eating only once a day. I doubt a potato or two, or an apple once a day is going to have an impact on my weight loss. I think adding these foods back into my diet would allow me to better meet my nutritional needs, and help me stick to the program throughout the week.
Another problem that I have been having with my eating protocol is my completely uncontrolled “cheat weekend.” I don’t just relax the rules on the weekends, I shred them. I eat so much junk food on Saturday and Sunday that I often get physically sick from it. This cannot be healthy. I have to find some kind of balance with this stuff. So, here is what I’m going to try out starting tomorrow:
- Two sessions of the Wim Hof Method (once in the morning and another before bed).
- Eat one meal a day, six days a week.
- Reserve Saturday only for anything goes.
- Drink water only
- All whole foods are ok (even starches and fruits), but nothing processed, and no bread or dairy.
- Daily Exercise (specifics to be determined)
I am going to start keeping better records as well. I have to track what I’m doing better or I will have no foundation to make effective changes.
I’m hoping these tweaks will allow me to get back on track and move forwards towards my goals. I have every intention of being a super healthy person in the near future. It’s going to happen. I will not be denied.